The 6 Things Piano Lessons Teach My Kid (besides songs)
- Focus – We have to pay attention during class and practice. Its not just being quiet, its quietly participating.
- Increased pattern recognition
- Fine Motor Skills – reaching different key combinations / chords and playing different notes at different times.
- Self Esteem – pride in a new skill, and a sense of accomplishment
- Math Skills – music notes are a visual way to add. It also uses the same part of the brain. This will become more evident as they get more advanced.
Piano lessons. As frustrating as practicing can be, I am amazed at what piano lessons has taught my kids. I compiled this list tonight, after a really frustrating practice. It felt really good to think of the great things we have learned so far.
I feel like we have some weeks that are harder to practice than others. Its funny, because while I was growing up my mom was always hounding me to practice. All. The. Time. I have realized, I am not my mom. I don’t want to nag and yell at them when they just don’t feel like practicing. But then, I look at the rewards, and I think, oh I would never be as good at the piano as I was, if my mom weren’t there push me. AHHH, the vicious cycle of piano lessons guilt.
The good part of this is, my mom STILL cares, and will come over and practice with Jett a few times a week. Sadly, it is still true, practice makes perfect, and it really does pay off.
We are well into playing two hands together on most songs, and it feels like he is playing real songs rather than just 3 notes over and over again. What is nice about the piano is that it becomes like a party trick. Whenever guests come over, or we are visiting at a neighbors house, Jett will play a song or two for them. He is so proud of his songs, and I am so proud of him.
What parenthood chores do you have a hard time with? Is this what I have to look forward to for homework in the next few years?
I am participating in the Yamaha Music Canada Brand Ambassador program on behalf of Mom Central Canada. I received compensation as a thank you for participating and for sharing my honest opinion. All opinions are on my own, as always.