Get a luxury leather journal without breaking the bank – this DIY leather journal cover is made with faux leather and the cricut explore. Not only is this leather composition book cover inexpensive to make yourself, it is reusable too!
You are either a paper and notebook person, or you are not. No matter how many reminders I have set in my phone, I still have to write things down or I worry that I will forget.
Journals and notebooks can be made into so many different styles and uses. My most commonly used notebooks are a to-do list notebook, bullet journal, spiritual journal (more doodles and phrases that stand out to me) and travel journals. A great journal idea I see often is a travel notebook where you can attach ticket stubs, pictures and notes as a keepsake.
What makes journals and notebooks even more special is when they feel nice. The feel of the paper, the right pen and ink style, or a leather journal cover – what qualities do you treasure in a notebook? For me, it is a pretty journal cover and a pen that makes me like my writing.
If you love a luxurious journal cover you will love the project I am sharing today – a reusable DIY leather journal cover. Starting with an inexpensive composition book from the dollar store, I’ll show you how to make a leather journal cover with your Cricut,
Tips For Cutting Leather With Your Cricut
- You can use either genuine leather or faux leather for this DIY journal cover. Faux leather is thinner, which makes it easier to cut with the Cricut.
- Place leather smooth side down on the mat and mirror image your design before cutting. This helps your cutting mat to last the longest.
- Another option is to put transfer tape on the fuzzy side of the leather, and place on the cutting mat with the transfer tape down.
- Make sure the leather is attached really well on the mat. You can use painters tape or masking tape to secure the leather to your mat.
- A brayer works well to push down on the leather, also insuring it is really secure on the cutting mat.
- With genuine leather move the white stars on the roller bar to the side – they will indent the leather if not moved.
Here is what you will need to make this DIY leather journal cover:
- Cricut Maker or Explore (found on Amazon and the Cricut Store)
- Standard grip cutting mat‘
- Deep cut blade
- Cricut faux leather
- Halographic iron-on vinyl
- Cricut easy press
- Easy press mat
- Design space file – #MAEFFD90
Other Cricut Leather Projects
If you love this DIY leather journal cover, you will love these other leather projects using the Cricut!
- Gather supplies needed.
- Load design space file on your internet browser (remember to mirror all your images).
- Place leather pretty side down on the cutting mat. Load mat, cut design out.
- Add any designs to decorate your leather journal cover with into design space. Place iron-on vinyl on cutting mat - pretty side down. Load mat and cut the design out.
- Weed iron-on vinyl
- Use easypress and mat to adhere iron-on to leather.
- Assembly - placing wrong sides together, align the smaller pieces on the ends of the larger cover. Sew the sides together using a 1/8" seam allowance.
- Insert composition journal into the leather cover. Enjoy!
To keep the stitching as invisible as possible I started sewing on the bottom of the spine of the journal cover and stitched all the way around. This is not necessary to the function of the journal cover, but it makes for a uniform appearance on the front and back. Use thread that blends with the color of faux leather used.