Celebrate a Pajama Party with a DIY coloring pillowcase station! Each kid can make their own pillow with iron on vinyl and fabric markers to decorate as they wish!
Girls Birthday Party Ideas
Are you looking for an activity to keep school aged kids entertained on a rainy day or for a birthday party? We recently had a pajama birthday party for some 9 year old girls. They all came dressed in their pajamas and their favorite activity of the afternoon (besides birthday cake, of course) was decorating pillow cases. Each girl got a pillowcase with their name written in outlined letters with iron on vinyl. They were then given fabric markers and allowed to color and design until their hearts were content.
To make a DIY Coloring Pillowcase, you will need:
- Digital Cutting Machine (Silhouette or Cricut work great)
- Cricut EasyPress 2
- Cricut EasyPress Mat
- Iron on Vinyl
- Fabric Markers – either washable or permanent
Instructions for use and washing:
Before placing the pillowcase into the washer, spray with a stain remover to help remove the marker easier. Do NOT add bleach or fabric softener. Wash separately. Air dry or tumble dry on low heat.
You could easily adapt this project to make coloring canvas tote bags or t-shirts!
DIY Gift Idea – Coloring Shirts
Wouldn’t a DIY coloring shirt make a fun gift? You could make a shirt and bundle it with some markers! If you want options besides their name, My Designs In The Chaos has some awesome Free Girl Coloring Book SVG Files that would be perfect for this.
DIY Coloring Pillowcase
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- EasyPress Mat
- Wedding Tool
- Iron on Vinyl – Black
- Blank Pillowcase
- Fabric Markers
- Type your name in Cricut Design Space. A great outline font available with Cricut Access is Cricut Sans Outline, or you can use any other font you have downloaded to your computer.
- Cut out design with the Cricut Explore Air 2. Remember to mirror image your text! Weed the vinyl and it is ready to iron on! It should have a clear sheet of plastic on top of the design.
- Warm up the EasyPress and place the pillowcase over the heating mat. After warming the pillowcase with the easypress, place the iron on vinyl design onto the pillowcase. Heat according to the Heat Settings Guide for your material and peel as directed.
- Before coloring place a piece of cardboard inside of the pillowcase so the markers do not bleed from the front to the back.
Comments & Reviews
[email protected] says
Thank you so very much for this well designed instruction. My mom taught me some sewing basics when I was about 10. Yes that was a long time ago! Now it is my turn to help teach my 10 year old granddaughter and I plan to use your instructions. I know we can do it thanks to you.
SandraII Sewing machine addict says
Hey, Really good instructions for sewing. I will use the tips of sewing for my students.
Thanks for sharing!