Get this cut out palm leaf template printable and make your own paper palm leaves to use in your home decor and floral arrangements.
Dried floral arrangements have had such a big moment in weddings so it comas as no surprise that they are also becoming popular in home decor as well. Dried florals look great all year round – and even better they last year round as well!
Of course, you can buy dried flowers at most floral shops but for my DIY and crafty friends there is a very easy way to DIY paper palm leaves. The best flowers to DIY and the dried tropical leaf palms or even a eucalyptus stem.
Where to buy dried flowers? Most florists will sell dried flowers and will also make a floral arrangement for you. The best dried flowers are the more sturdy and thick leaves. I recommend buying babys breath, pampas grass, or dried lavendar bunches.
Get the boho look in your home decor on a budget by making your own tropical palm leaves with basic materials you already have at home!
How To Make Paper Palm Leaves
- Kraft paper
- glue gun
Print and cut out the leaf templates (get the download at the end of this post). There are three different shapes with simple outlines. The different types of leaves inclue a sun palm, palm spear, and rounded palm leaf.
Place the template on the paper with the longest straight line (the middle of the leaf) on the fold. Cut out the shape with scissors and upfold the paper. Once you get the hang of it, you won’t need the templates and you can freehand cut a similar shape in larger sizes to get larger leaves for your arrangements.
For the round palm and palm spear template fold the leaf folds vertically! For the sun palm (with cut tip leaves) start from bottom of the leaf. Begin folding accordian style in about 1/2 inch folds. Feel free to use a scoring tool for sharp folds. Once the entire leaf is folded, fold it in half again, with the longest sides touching.
If you want to paint your leaf, flatten it out and cover with spray paint. Let it dry for a couple hours before moving on.
When the paint is dry fold your leaf again into its fan shape. Glue the center folds together using hot glue, a glue stick, or even tape! Leave the last inch or two unglued to leave room for the stem.
Add a skewer in the center fold and hot glue in place.
Wrap paper over the base of the leaf if wanted.
Different leaves options:
Try different papers! I have experimented with cardstock, tissue paper, wrapping paper, and more.
More Boho Craft Projects You Will Love:
Make tropical leaves in different sizes. Again, once you get the hang of the shapes and know what style you want, cut your own leaves in much larger sizes.
Dry Palm Home Decor
- Decorate a bullitin board in a classroom. Have kids help you make them – its a great activity for fine motor skills!
- Create your own photo backdrop for an event!
- Make a cake topper! Check our this bright and sparkly palm cake topper on etsy!
- Have a boho christmas decor style? Add palm leaves to your Christmas tree!
No time to DIY? Get a pampas leaf and palm fan arrangement from Luxe B Pampas grass on etsy.
Buy dried palm stems on Afloral.
Want a more detailed cut file to use with your Cricut? This svg file looks amazing and comes with a video tutorial!
DIY Paper Palm Leaves
- 1 Pair of scissors
- 1 Hot glue gun
- 1 piece paper brown
- Print and cut out the leaf templates.If you want to paint your leaf, flatten it out and cover with spray paint. Let it dry for a couple hours before moving on.
- Place the template on the paper with the longest straight line (the middle of the leaf) on the fold. Cut out the shape with scissors and upfold the paper.
- Begin folding accordian style in about 1/2 inch folds. Once the entire leaf is folded, fold it in half again, with the longest sides touching.
- Glue the center folds together with glue. Leave the last inch or two unglued to leave room for the stem.
- Add a skewer in the center fold and hot glue in place.
- Wrap paper over the base of the leaf.
Free printable paper palm leaf templates
These templates are available as free downloads for my email subscribers. Enter your information below and I will send the templates to you.
To get the free printable enter your name and email address in the form below and click the GET IT NOW button. I’ll send the printable file straight to your inbox.
Terms and Conditions:
- By downloading this free printable you are signing up for my e-newsletter and you’ll be notified when I release new free printable files.
- This printable is for personal use or classroom use only.
- This file can be used in part or in whole for your personal projects.
- Digital reselling, sharing, and redistributing of the files is NOT allowed. If you would like to share, please direct friends to the original blog post where you found this.