If you love chocolate and peanut butter together- then you will love this recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting and a Reese’s peanut butter heart on top.
Valentines Day is often a simple and fairly last minute holiday at our house. Other than printable valentines, we usually make some easy treats and add some pink and red candy decorations to add some themed fun.
Another big hit – my kids love these marshmallow pops and I love that they can make it themselves.
These chocolate cupcakes are really easy to make and don’t require any hard to find ingredients. They make the perfect last minute treat to enjoy.
How To Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
The cupcakes are soft and fluffy, the perfect base for a decadent chocolate peanut butter frosting. The recipe is basic and easy to follow.
Just be sure to only fill the cupcake liners 1/2 full. This makes for the prettiest looking cupcakes that don’t sink in the middle.
For the frosting – you can use a basic chocolate frosting, a peanut butter frosting, or my favorite – the chocolate peanut butter frosting.
To make chocolate frosting:
In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and heavy whipping cream until creamy. Add peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Beat on medium speed until combined.
If the frosting is too thick just add a tablespoon of cream. If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
Scoop frosting into a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes.
Sprinkle Valentine’s Day sprinkles on top
Place an unwrapped Reese’s Peanut Butter Heart in the center
Note on Peanut Butter: For the best texture, I strongly suggest a basic store bought creamy peanut butter. Do not use oily or natural style peanut butter in this frosting because it could separate, or peanut pieces will get stuck in the piping tip.
This quick and easy recipe has become our family favorite. It is going to be the perfect last minute treat for Valentine’s Day! Do you have a favorite treat for Valentine’s Day?
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1/3 C canola oil
For Chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line your cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisk to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter in the cupcake liners. Fill each one 3/4 of the way full.
Bake at 350°F for 22 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool
To make chocolate peanut butter frosting:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and heavy whipping cream until creamy
- Add peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Beat on medium speed until combined
- If frosting is too thick add a tablespoon of cream. If too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Scoop frosting into piping bag
- Frost cooled cupcakes Sprinkle Valentine’s Day sprinkles on top. Place an unwrapped Reese's Peanut Butter Heart in the center
Do not use crunchy or natural peanut butter in this recipe. Just the basic canned peanut butter jars make for the best peanut butter frosting with a smooth and creamy consistency!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g