Valentines Day is such a fun day to share with friends, kids, and loved ones. Show your love with an easy valentines craft project like this DIY conversation heart pinata! They are a colorful touch to your home decor, make great photo booth props, or even a fun way to send a Valentines Day care package.
February is heart month – a time to bring awareness to heart health. A local photographer offers mini photography sessions to former heart patients and asked me to help with creative ideas for a backdrop and props. What screams fun for valentines more than a Conversation Heart Pinata?
As a mom of boys I knew it would awesome to bring in some other colors besides red and pink. We made a fun backdrop using plastic table cloths cut into strips for a fun fringe effect and then made pinata conversation hearts as photo props! They were really simple to make and I have had a few questions about them so I figured I would share a tutorial with you!
- Cricut Explore Air
- Create a heart stencil out of paper or cardstock. Place on top of cardboard and cut out two heart shapes.
- Cut 2 inch wide strips of cardboard
- Attach 2 inch strips to heart shapes with tape. I used scotch tape but wish I would have used packing tape. Bend and curve the cardboard to heart shape.
- If filling the heart, fill with toys, candy, confetti, notes, or whatever else you would like to include.
- Tape the second heart on top to close the box.
- Cut 1.5 inch felt pieces and cut fringes along the length. Start at the bottom section of the heart and add rows to cover the entire heart.
- Add additional rows of felt fringe down the sides.
- Finish it off by snipping edges off the fringe so it separates the pieces a bit. This helps them to not lay completely flat and look more 3-dimensional. Use hot glue to stick down any pieces that don't look right.
- Cut out letters from cardstock using a digital cutting machine - I used my Cricut Explore Air two (my favorite tool in my craft room). Cut out any phrase you would like!
- Glue letters onto the heart.
If you like this, be sure to check out some more Valentine’s Day ideas:
- Black, white and gold valentines party
- Simple Heart Card
- Stuck On You – Free Valentines SVG file
- I love you a sloth – free valentines SVG